My move to Chicago was paved with good intentions, one of which led me into my local XSport Fitness. I made the mistake of entering one to simply “check it out.” No such thing. By the time I left, I had been signed up for a monthly membership, an expensive recurring class plan that I couldn’t afford, and signed over the right to my first born. I managed to cancel the recurring class after sending in a notarized letter signed with my blood, but made the mistake of continuing my membership because intentions. Paying $40 a month for a gym membership you don’t utilize is almost like working out, isn’t it?
Okay, wtf Christine, you are paying a monthly membership for a gym you despise? Why don’t you just flush those $40 down the toilet?
HA! The card I have on file was canceled long ago and the amount due that I never intend to pay piles up. I don’t think this is something to be proud of, but XSport shouldn’t be proud of how they expect you to get a membership cancellation formally notarized by the President of the United States. On that note, I should probably pull it together and send that in. Wonder when Trump will be at his tower next…
My workout mantra of preference is, “Never miss a Monday.” It’s the other 6 days of the week that are the problem. Since I can’t show my face at XSport any longer, I’ve improvised and I get to do it from the comforts of my own apartment!
My downstairs neighbors may disagree, but working out at home is superior and here are 8 convincing reasons why you should, too:
You don’t have to commute to the gym.
You get to ugly sweat in ugly mismatching gym clothes or no clothes at all.
You’ll be using equipment that’s only infested with your own gross germs.
You can shop around for the perfect video and even preview it before jumping in.
You can take a well earned nap immediately after.
Your risk of catching a nasty foot fungus greatly decreases.
You can blast your tunes and even sing along if you have the lung capacity.
YouTube is the best source for free workout videos. Google what you want to target and BOOM, you’ve got options. I’ve tried a few not free ones like Insanity and Jillian Michaels. They are the worst. I don’t enjoy them. I don’t enjoy wanting to die while Jillian talks down to me. If I’m going to work out, I want cool people who are nice to me while I gasp desperately for air.
Here are my 5 favorite free workout channels and videos and where to find them:
1. Fitness Blender (HIIT/Pilates) Fitness Blender is gods gift to the YouTube Fitness world. Kelli and Daniel Segars are the power couple of free Fitness. They release a new video every Monday which means you can’t get bored with the same-old same-old. I prefer Kelli’s workouts over Daniel’s, probably because I’m all about that girl power and she’s really open about her journey. If you start with them from the beginning, you can see how fit she’s gotten doing these at home workouts and it’s inspiring. Not to mention, a majority of the workouts are body weight only. There’s a ton of variety, the workouts range from 10 minutes to an hour plus (still haven’t done that one for lazy reasons) and no muscle gets to chill. This Fat Burning HIIT Cardio Workout with No Equipment video is the most recent of theirs to kick my ass.
2. POPSUGAR Fitness (Dance/Cardio) Anna Renderer finds the most extreme, coolest fitness experts to have on her show. She’s always doing the workout right along with them and her personality is adorable. Since she hosts so many different trainers, the workouts vary. I particularly enjoy the dance workouts because they humble the shit out of me. Want to feel really uncoordinated? Try this video. If you have curtains, you’ll probably want to close them. I previewed this, tried it for a millisecond, then accepted the fact that I’ll never be booty poppin’ dancer but that won’t stop me from trying.
3. eFit30 (Pilates) Want to do Australian dialect study while you get your sweat on? eFit30 is the place to scroll to. My favorite workouts are with Caity, even though the way she says “exhale” makes me want to shove q-tips into my ears. That aside, she makes sure you inhale and exhale when you should be which is important. Do this 40 minute workout and your ass is gonna feel like a bazillion Australian dollars.
4. HASfit (HIIT/Cardio) Claudia and Joshua get the second runner up award for power couples in free fitness. I don’t love their videos as much as some others, but one thing I can say with confidence is they have a ton of content and a variety of workouts. Bodyweight workouts, kickboxing, free weight workouts, and HIIT; pick your poison.
5. Yoga with Adriene (Yoga) I’ve taken a lot of yoga classes in my day and I’ve found the instructors I like the most are the ones who don’t take life too seriously. They’re willing to crack a joke between the opening of your chakra and your chaturanga. Adriene is down to earth, goofy, and real. I know it’s just a video, but she manages to make you feel like you met up with her to casually do best friend things together like yoga. We are so close now that I call her Adri for short. She laughs, I laugh, it’s a BFF thing. Adriene is another presence on YouTube that makes it impossible to get bored. There are tons of videos from Yoga for 5 minutes in the morning to 30 days of yoga. If you’re a beginner, start here. The best part? She can’t smell your downward dog-induced flatulence.
Have another workout video or channel that you love? Tell me about it because this easily distracted blogger is always looking for more variety.